Transition / Case Studies
Northeastern Ohio has a rich legacy of sacred landmarks that serve as a reminder of the various immigrant communities that settled in our region in the early decades of the last century. These structures are often times the major landmarks in their neighborhoods. After decades of outmigration from Cleveland, Akron, and Lorain, the demographic changes in inner-ring suburbs, and declining church attendance, many of these congregations struggle to deal with deferred maintenance, are in need of creative uses for excess space, or close entirely.
Through our Sacred Landmarks Assistance Program CRS gives free advice to congregations on building maintenance issues, such as energy efficiency, accessibility, and the repair and maintenance of stained glass and decorative finishes. If your congregation needs advice, call Michael Fleenor, Director of Preservation Services at 216-426-3109.
CRS is especially concerned about two sacred landmarks in the Cleveland Clinic District: The Euclid Avenue Church of God (built 1889 as the Reformed Episcopal Church of the Epiphany and designed by Sidney Badgley) and The Church of the Transfiguration (built in 1902-04 as Emmanuel Episcopal and designed by Cram & Goodhue). The Euclid Avenue Church of God congregation has requested a demolition permit from the Cleveland Landmarks Commission, but have been denied twice. Transfiguration is currently on the market.
We have collated resources on these pages to help encourage the adaptive use of sacred landmark properties.
Depending oupon the proposed rehabilitaiton plan, a building may be eligible for economic incentives.