Cleveland's Group Plan
The Cleveland Group Plan of 1903 is the earliest and most complete civic-center plan for a major city outside Washington, D.C. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places, the Group Plan district is a T-shaped area, which is bounded roughly by East 9th Street to the east, Superior Avenue to the south, East 6th Street to the west and the retaining wall that runs behind the County Courthouse and City Hall.
The Group Plan embodies the ideals of the City Beautiful Movement and late nineteenth century Progressivism. It was the first plan for the grouping of public buildings realized in an already built-up city, and is the earliest and most elaborate civic center plan outside of Washington, D.C., at the time of its conception. Many from throughout the nation traveled to Cleveland to see the physical embodiment of their ideals and took what they learned home with them to formulate plans for their own cities.
Now that the site of the new Medical Mart project has been finalized, we will advocate for excellence of design that contributes to the Cleveland Mall. We are also concerned that the Music Hall and Public Auditorium be preserved and adapted for a new use and that the exterior be restored after the 1960s addition is removed.